Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Wednesday

Hello everyone. This is my first attempt at copying and pasting into my blog from msword. So here goes. By the way, leave it up to Sam to catch the redundancy of calling a restaurant in Italy and Italian restaurant. Here's the blog. Yea! It worked.
Tuesday, April 19 – Got up at 7 am, took a long walk. The city has a different feel than Rome of Florence – more industrial, does not have the same antique-rustic look that other cities have. But the area around the old castle and Duomo does have that common look that other cities do. Checked out the shops in the neighbourhood, which is always an interesting venture. It is always interesting to see how other cultures live from day to day. Visiting other cultures helps to strip away ones narrow, provincial outlook on the world and life in general. Bought some laundry soap and body soap and dish. I am doing laundry in the bidet, it works.:) It is very hard to walk by all the pastry shops without trying something at each one. The Italians know how to do pastries and gelato and food in general. But I am really restricting myself to just one or two per day and one gelato per day, otherwise my system stages a revolt and bad things will be set into motion, enough said. At noon pastor LaDonna took me to lunch and gave me a map of Milano and metro tickets. She left, and I ate lunch then took the metro to see the Duomo – Architecturally, it is quite different from other cathedrals (Sam, have you seen it – the keys on this computer do not have the question mark, and some keys are located in different places). It is massive with spires resembling sandstone spears. Walked around the center square. People are bustling about everywhere, and this is not tourist season. I stopped to listen to an old gentleman playing his violin on the street corner. His gentle way attracted a crowd. I did indulge in my daily gelato. Looked for sunglasses for Laura, did not want to spend $300 dollars and up for the big name stuff. Got back to hotel at 3:30, rested and read until 7 pm. Picked up at 7 by Donald and Willy. This time we took the bus because of the rain, which hung around all day.
Evening service began at 8 with worship. I began teaching at 8:30. The crowd was larger – 65 tonight (They come after work and stay until 11 pm). I don’t think that would happen back home.
I allowed time for Q & A. Got some interesting questions dealing with the issue of prophecy in the church today. I am always sceptical of this activity in the church. In 1 Cor. 2:15, Paul says, “The spiritual man makes judgments about all things…” The evening session went great! At 11 pm we ate dinner in the church – ponsett (with chicken and shrimp) fried chicken and rice. Got back to the hotel at 11:45 – read until 1 am then slept until 7 am
This week is shaping up as follows:
Today (I am typing this at 1pm on Wednesday at the church, and later will try to copy and paste this into my blog site) Pastor Lito and took the metro to the center of town to see the Duomo. Yesterday when I was there it was cloudy, so I did not get a picture. It is still overcast and rainy today, but the sun did make a brief appearance, enough for a picture. Unfortunately, the whole front of the Duomo is covered with scaffolding and a shrouded façade, so I had to settle for a side view picture.
Thursday – I will leave for the metro at 6:30 am and meet Pastor LaDonna at 7 am, then she will put me on the train with a brother here, and we will take a 2 hr. train ride to Turin (Turino) and hopefully see the famous Shroud of Turin. I will spend the day there and visit with some of the members of the new church that has recently been planted there. Will get back around 5 pm.
Friday – will try to visit the DaVinci Museum, and hopefully see DaVinci’s Last Supper painting,. It is in a different location, and one has to get a reservation, so we will see.
Saturday – Will travel by train to Padava, which is located about 20 km from Venice, to visit with the pastor there about teaching ministry next year. Back in Milano that evening to teach a special session to the church leaders from several churches here in Milano.
Sunday – Will speak in the am Sunday School and preach in the worship service. Then get on train at noon and arrive back in Rome by 4 pm to speak in evening “Revival Service,” on topic of “The Spirit Orientated Life.” When you all think of me, please pray for wisdom and effectiveness in all I am doing. I need it.

Back to real time. The sun is now out for a change. I am thinking you all. Tell Alaina hi for me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

One gelato a day or is that one gelato with three scoops? You will loose your nickname "Mr. Gelato" if you only have one a day.

I haven't been to Milan so I am not sure what that cathedral looks like. I'll check it out online.

Long walks in the city are always a good time and a good way to burn off those gelato-calories.

-Sam

Anonymous said...

Hi Galen!
I can't wait until you get back so I can have a sleepover with you and Auntie Lynn. When can we do that? When you come back, can you make gelato for me? I love you!
Love...Alaina

Anonymous said...

Forget the gelato, I want the ponset! I have mastered adobo, so you need to figure out the ponset!

It sounds like you are staying very busy. Jeremy is jealous. He doesn't care about the food, but he wants to see the shroud of Turin.

until next time...

Anonymous said...

Galen,

Glad you are having fun, the gelato sounds good.

bye, bye,
till next time.

Kaylin
(that rhymes with Galen.)

Anonymous said...

Galen,

I love your blogs. It's great to hear about what you are doing. Kaylin is really enjoying them also! Chandler is busy with his legos and cars right now...doesn't get into the whole "blog thing" yet!

Tonya