Friday, April 22, 2005

Friday, April 22

Hey everyone, this trip is more than just gelato! Although everytime I walk past a gelateria I hear them calling my name. Know what I mean Vern? (finally found the question mark on these keypads.) And I haven't yet said one word about the incredible pastries that are everywhere - one per day on those babies are my quota.
Anyway, I am composing this online, the cost is only 3 euros per hour. Not bad.
Yesterday (Thurs) was one long busy day. On Wed. night I got to bed at 2 am. And got up at 5 so I could get ready for the day. At 6 I headed out for the metro and met Edwin at the Centralie metro station at 6:30. We then had a quick breakfast (breakfast in Italy is a croissant and tea or coffee or cappucino at a bar - don't let the word bar scare you, that is what they call any place with coffee, tea, and pastries). We then boarded the train for Turin (Torino). The trip there and back was amazing. We traveled along the southern edge of the Swiss Alps - all covered in snow. The view was indescribable - and that is no hyperbole! The trip took two hours. We were met at the train station by Tina. She and her husband live there and are a part of the Philippino church there in Turin. We walked around the center of town for about an hour. We inquired about going to the top of the spire (don't know what it is called, but it is the icon for Turin - check it out on the internet), but the cost was 19 euro per person. We didn't want it that bad. We then had lunch then took the trolley up the mountain to see an old cathredal that overlooks the city and the Alps - what a view. It is similar to overlooking Florence, only much more beautiful. From the standpoint of sheer beauty, Turin is my favorite city. As you walk the streets, the feel is very much like Florence. The one thing that Turin is famous for is the controversial "Shroud of Turin." When we walked in the large cathedral, we thought that we would get to see it. But we only saw a facsimile that was one-third the actual size. The shroud itself is incased in a large box covered with a cloth situated behind a protective glass casing. The box resembles a large tomb. I did get a picture of the box - how exciting.
Turin is the center for Satan worship in Itlay, and there is graffiti everwhere that reflects that influence. Also, because of its location in NE Italy, it is not a hotspot for tourism. The French and Swiss come here and a few other Europeans, but hardly any Americans make it here. The city is in a valley between the Alps on the north and mountains on the south. Tell you more about it when I get home.
Sam, when I get home, I need you to show me how to send my digital pictures over the internet. That would enable you to see some of the sights.
Got back to Milan at 6:30 pm, then headed back to the hotel to freshen up, the Edwin and his wife Marabel walked me to the church - a five minute walk. On the way, we stopped at their favorite pizza shop. He ordered an entire pizza for me to eat - about the size of a good medium pizza back home. Because of the way they make it, it is light and healthy, and very delicious. When I finished the whole pizza, I did not feel like I had a bowling ball in my belly. Edwin, today, is going to make lasagna and pizza at the church for me. He is going to show me and write out all the directions for the recipe. Stephanie, I will also get the recipe for ponsett. They make it different ways. Last night I ate it with quail eggs, shrimp, and liver (I avoided the liver). It is like chili, everyone has their own recipe.
After last night's seminar, we ate dinner and visited with three other pastors from the city. We talked of problems in their churches until midnight. Got back to the hotel at 12:15 am.
Got up this morning to a bright sunshiny day. It took me about three days to get used to the constant traffic right outside my window.
That is all for now. How is Mom? I have not heard from her yet. Tell her to check her e-mails.
I miss you all. Give Ewan and Eliot a hug for me.
Dad (forgive any typos)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Traffic noises to some are the drones that could lull one to sleep.
Maybe the Gelato’s that are calling your name is actually the voice of the Holy Spirit telling you that you should open up a gelateria here in Kansas City. It would probably be a good business.
I have seen the Swiss Alps, the Bavarian Alps, and the Austrian Alps and they are all very beautiful, but I have not been to the Italian Alps. Katy spent a semester in the Italian alps in a small town. (can’t remember the name.) The best nap I ever had was in the Austrian Alps.
Mom is fine. She was reading your post Tuesday night at our house, but was more interested in her grandkids than leaving a comment. We also saw her at church Wednesday night. I will car her today (Friday.)
-Sam